Wednesday, September 28, 2011

One Final Plea

So Rosh Hashanah began around sunset today, September 28, and will end around sunset on September 30 for those who celebrate a two-day feast. Over the last 40 days, I have provided nearly 40 signs that indicate the Lord's return is near, and that He may return during Rosh Hashanah (the Feast of Trumpets) this year.

Truth can be bitter sweet. For those who are ready and waiting to meet the Lord when He returns, His coming for us and calling us home will be ever so sweet. But, we probably all have loved ones we fear aren't ready for Him to come now or believe everything will go on just as it always has seemed to be. Peter had a message for them.
Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly. (2 Peter 3:3-7)
Probably the most frequent comment I've received from Christian friends and family is that Jesus said no one knows the day or the hour. Of course, that is true, and because it's true, Jesus' point was that we should be all the more watchful.
“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise. The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’ ‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’ But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut. Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’ But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’
Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.
My hope for each reader is that they will be aware that the times are short and we should therefore be diligent about our Lord's business. We should encourage one another with the great promise that the Lord will come back soon for His people. He could come at any time.

This is not a time to be lukewarm about our relationship with Jesus Christ. He warned us, "
“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” (Revelation 3:14-22)
Instead, come near to the Lord and He will come near to you. May your earnest prayer be the prayer found in Luke 21:34-36,
“Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap. For it will come on all those who live on the face of the whole earth. Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.”
If I'm still here tomorrow evening, I plan to write about our great inheritance stored up for us in Heaven. If not, I hope to see your there!

No comments:

Post a Comment